Thursday, March 10, 2005

Those things I counted loss

I have often wondered how Stephen was able to praise God while he was being stoned to death or how Paul was able to keep from becoming bitter as he was writing letters from prison. I mean, he was SAUL...educated, highly esteemed. He probably had the high life. And yet, he writes to the Philippians:
"But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of ALL THINGS and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ."
(Phil.3:7-8, emphasis mine)
As time goes on, I realize that Jesus wants my ALL THINGS. It has been so easy for me, hearing these verses over and over throughout my lifetime, to think that "all things" meant great riches or fame or a trail blazing life. As long as I'm not banking on those obvious idols, then I've given Jesus what he wants, right?

Paul was in chains when he wrote this. At that moment, was even the common good of sunlight taken away from him?

What is the "common good" among the "common" people? A car? A job? A spouse or child? The ability to enjoy the holidays with family or friends?An ankle that doesn't flare up after running one mile? These are the things that must be counted loss for the "excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ." This is the joy that comes with being emptied of things of the flesh and being filled with Christ so that we, as sons of God, are able to truly rejoice in all things. If I know that I am a son of God, if I can call him "Abba! Father!", my life is truly not my own and nothing in my life was truly mine to begin with. What a relief! Thanks be to God.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, I enjoyed the last paragraph alot. Have a blessed weekend Rebecca
Love, Maria

Anonymous said...

Wow Rebecca!! This was an awesome post!!
In Christ- k-bear

Anonymous said...

Wow Rebecca!! This was an awesome post!!
In Christ- k-bear

gelok said...

well spoken, welcome to the blogging universe... : )
-gelok

Rebecca Nugent said...

thanks, Dan Gelok:)