Monday, March 21, 2005

Terri and the hardness of hearts

I feel like a "Johnny come lately" finally writing a post about Terri Schiavo, but the more I read and hear about what is going on, the more it is in the center of my thoughts.

This reminds me of a case that my dad was involved in when he was working as an RN in a nursing home. A woman's feeding tube was removed at the request of the family, and this woman happened to expire while Dad was in the room. Another nurse turned to him and said, "You are going to have to pronounce a time of death."

"I'll have nothing to do with this," he replied and walked out.

I think that if I were to ask ten Average Joes walking down the street about the removal of feeding tubes, they would, in a parrot-like posture, give me the textbook answer about the quality of life and right to die reasons without batting an eye. They would probably even be good, upstanding (even regular church attending) citizens.

But- our hearts are hardened. In the media, in academia, in my own personal experiences...it is so uncanny how just a little poison (aka...giving Satan a foothold) will infiltrate one's mind and heart and affections in this life. I'm beginning to see that so much of this life is a spiritual battle. And while I grieve these things, I see the hope that lies in the distance. As Christians, we know the end of the story. That is our hope, and it is eternal.

So, back to Terri. If you are reading this, please pray for her. My pastor is down there and is actually preaching outside of the hospice. Please pray for a miracle. Please pray that those who will rule in this case will be able to see the truth and that Satan will flee from this situation.
Thank you.

2 comments:

An Epistemology said...

I've been praying. Why can't they see this isn't right?

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca Nugent,

Your blog "Terri and the hardness of hearts", leads me to believe you will find my information on practice tests to be very beneficial.

Some of the not so common searches that found our extensive site included ... gradual level entrance exam practice tests, psychological practice tests wpt, practice written tests for the drivers permit test, practice tests for social workers, security plus practice tests, nbrc practice tests and texes practice tests.

We have many hundreds of study prep guides and aids to help you pass your exams without weeks and months of endless studying.

Best Wishes
Emily