Sunday, April 03, 2005

Clarity

Nick called me from work on Friday, April 1st, about 11am:
"I couldn't really sleep last night. I still can't decide..."

April 1st was the deadline to either accept or reject the full ride scholarship from Vanderbilt. We had until the end of that business day. I knew that Nick's heart was set on University of Virginia, a highly ranked school, but only offering a half-scholarship. We had also been waiting on Harvard.

"Tell me what you think," he said. I thoroughly and carefully gave all my reasons for going where I thought we should go, as he silently and patiently listened.

"Ok, thanks. I'll think about it more," he said before hanging up. A half hour later, he called back, still indecisive.
Again, I told him my thoughts. At the end of this particular conversation, I prayed and surrendered my will to our Sovereign God, accepting whatever would come from His hand. I knew that wherever we went, He would take care of us, and not leave us to ourselves. At a time when I would normally embrace anxiety and stress, God gave me His peace.

An hour later, Nick called and simply stated: "I just called Vanderbilt and accepted the scholarship."
My heart nearly stopped. I breathed a sigh of relief and tears stung my eyes.

This was a very difficult decision to make, especially for my husband. I can't imagine how hard he has worked the past few years, maintaining the academic standing he had while carrying two majors, and then nearly scoring perfectly on the dreadful LSAT. He chose a lesser ranked school (and yet, a solid and reputable one!) for the good of our present and future. I thank God that He shapes and molds men's hearts to be bold and strong in the work He has given them. I thank God for all of those who have kept us in prayer. I thank God for our church and the men that have become such an example to other young men, such as my husband. I am grateful that my husband loves wisdom and has done well to carry out the wisdom that has been given him.

Thanks be to God!

"The plans of the heart belong to man, But the answer of the tongue is from the Lord. All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the Lord weighs the motives. Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established." Proverbs 16:1-3

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congradulations Nick and Rebecca!

An Epistemology said...

God must want you there, he's willing to pay for it :-) God Bless as you move forward.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rebecca. The CGS blogs are here:

http://jiho.humblestar.net/cgsblogs.php

For stats for your website you can go here (the site I use):

http://www.retrostats.com/

or here (the site Pastors Bayly use):

http://www.sitemeter.com

I think mine keeps better stats, but either would give you an idea. You can make your computer-savvy husband do it for you if you like, or brave the world of web-code on your own :)